Saturday, March 3, 2012

73 : Little Ringed Plover


Little Ringed Plover - Charadrius dubius

I love the latin name. I had a real haul of birds at the Pivot fields last weekend and took a large number of bad snaps to push the website total up toward the magic 1 % of world species (100 tips me over and I will then have a mere 9890 or so species to go). I used to see these birds at Barne Elms WWT reserve in South London just next to the Thames nesting on man made gravel islands on a Lake. I was amazed that these birds nest at the Pivot Fields out on the "pitch". They are told apart from Ringed Plover by their yellow eye ring.



I see Little Ringed Plaover more often at inland sides and I think of Ringed Plover as a bird of the seaside.  Also, the head pattern has less contrast than that of a Ringed Plover. I expect that there must also be birds on the way through moving North - some will stay and breed and some will move on to sites they have visited year after year.



Bird in flight taken more recently



Bird on Passage at the Pivots March 2013 - my best shot I guess



Little Ringed Plover - Charadrius dubius
Pivot Fields, Dubai
25 February 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment