Saturday, April 21, 2012

105 : Rock Thrush



Rock Thrush  - Monticola saxatilis

I took my 10 year old son on a mini bird safari to Jebel Hafite today. The highest mountain in the UAE. Standing at over 2000 m on the edge of the Hajar mountain chain it throws up some bird oddities for Arabia. Near the summit is a quirky little hotel called the Mercure that attracts in the high mountain birds - the last time I saw one of these was in the Sierra Nevada in Spain a good 11 year's ago. This fine fellow - a male Rock Thrush looked far more colourful against the greenery of the Hotel front garden (and with the sun on him) than on the the bleached out sand stone slopes of the Arabian mountains. Rather fine !

Thank you to Peter Helier who I bumped into and put me onto a little lost corner of the hotel grounds that threw up another photo-tick for me.

Rock Thrush - Montacola saxatilis
Hotel Mercure gardens, Jebil Hafite Mountain, Abu Dhabi Emirate, UAE
21 April 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment