Sunday, April 14, 2013

256 : Pin-tailed Sandgrouse

 
 
Pin-tailed Sandgrouse - Pterocles alchata
 
I picked up the location of a new "reserve" area from the UAE birding forum so following the directions I made my way out there on Saturday morning. A man made lake in the desert surounded by a large planting of new Ghaf trees. A lot of work has gone into the area and its paid dividends.
 
The first incident (on having spotted some Sand Gazelle) was discovering that I had forgotten a camera data card. An hour's round trip as I really wanted the picture of the gazelles. They were still there and I spent a good two hours with them. The birding had been quite lacklustre until that point and then I managed to see a pair of these gorgeous Sandgrouse.


 
 
There is  a slight debate as to whether these are tickable in Dubai as there have been release programmes etc. to get the numbers back up. I am just having them ! I have seen flocks flying in the distance but never got close. The top two pictures and below are I think the female. I *love* the fluffy feet. 

 
 
Below is the handsome male. The golden spots in the plumage on the wing feathers are equally stunning. 


 
 
I think I have already descibed the life and times of Sandgrouse generally in my post from Tanzania on the Yellow-throated Sandgrouse. I won't repeat myself but just let the birds do the talking. It was hard to drag myself away. 

 
 
Thankfully short of any disturbance from me they were hunkering down for the hottest part of the day so I ws able to use the car as a hide and move around them for the best shots. It was still really hard to get a "catch" in the eye as the sun was virtually directly overhead. 


I did manage to get a wink though from the male.

 
Pin-tailed Sandgrouse, Pterocles alchata

Dubai Desert Conservation Area
13 April 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment